Phone cracks happen all of the time. It is so easy to accidentally drop your phone and instantly crack your entire screen. In some instances, a drop can result in a tiny scratch that barely impacts the look or function of the phone to a major crack that makes it almost impossible to use your device.
Touchscreen glass is unfortunately very delicate and can crack and break easily and fixing cracked and scratched glass through a professional can be quite costly.
While some deeper cracks and scratches will require you to replace the entire screen, some mild and moderate scratches can be solved right at home using a very common everyday home product—toothpaste.
It is important to note that the toothpaste approach to fixing a cracked phone screen only works on plastic screens. If you have a glass screen you can take the same approach and use glass polish instead of toothpaste. However, some minor scratches on glass screens may still be fixed with toothpaste.
Using Toothpaste to Repair Your Plastic Phone Screen
Plastic phones that are cracked, scratched, and damaged can be fixed with your standard toothpaste. First, you need to make sure that you are using an actual paste, such as a child’s toothpaste, not a gel-based toothpaste. You also need to avoid toothpaste with any speckles in it. This is because you need an abrasive paste in order to fill in and buff away the scratches on your phone.
If you don’t have this type of toothpaste in your home, you can make your own paste by mixing equal parts baking soda and water together to create a paste-like consistency. You can also use one part baby powder and one part water and mix it together to create your own paste. Once you have the right paste you can get started with the repair process. Here’s how it’s done.
- Dab the toothpaste on a soft cloth or a microfiber cloth. Use a small, pea-sized amount to repair your phone screen as applying too much toothpaste will make a mess on the phone.
- Rub the paste around in a gentle circular motion to cover the scratches on your screen. Continue doing this until the scratch starts to disappear. The paste is an abrasive so it will be buffing away the surface scratches on your phone. With this in mind, you won’t need to apply a lot of pressure.
- Continue scrubbing and buffing until you start seeing changes in the scratches on your screen. If you are dealing with bigger cracks, it will still help take away the look of the crack, but it won’t necessarily fill the hole left behind.
- When the cracks look better, take a new soft, damp cloth to remove any excess toothpaste.
- Grab a polishing cloth and wipe away any excess dirt and oil that has built up on the screen, this can happen when you are using toothpaste for these repairs.
This should help with any surface scratches in the phone and will not damage the phone or prevent it from working in the way that it should.
Other Home Remedies to Fix a Cracked Phone Screen
There are also other home remedies that you can use to fix either glass or plastic phone screens when you are dealing with surface scratches. This includes the following items.
Vegetable oil can also work as a temporary fix for really small scratches. While this won’t work for deeper scratches, a single drop of vegetable oil is a quick fix for surface scratches. Simply buff the oil into the scratches until they disappear.
There is a simple egg mixture that you can use in order to remove surface scratches from phones. Here’s what you need:
- An egg
- Aluminum foil
- Potassium Aluminum Sulfate aka Alum (available at your local drugstore)
- Microfiber cloth
With your items collected, you can follow these steps in order to remove your scratches.
- Mix together the whites of the egg with a teaspoon of Alum in a saucepan. Heat to 150 degrees F.
- Soak your microfiber cloth in the egg mixture.
- Lay the cloth on top of aluminum foil and bake it in your oven at 300 degrees until the cloth is dry.
- Remove the cloth from the oven and rinse it in cold water for 30 seconds.
- Repeat these steps three times total and allow the cloth to air-dry for 48 hours.
- The cloth can then be used to buff away scratches on your phone and other glass items and electronics.
How to fix cracked phone screen toothpaste? If you have silver polish at home, you can use it to remove scratches on your screen. Simply dip a soft cloth into the polish and apply it to the screen in circular motions. When you are done wipe away any excess polish from the screen with a clean cloth.